The Bank for International Settlements is an international organisation which fosters international monetary and financial cooperation via wide-ranging banking, economic research and policy coordination activities.
About the BIS Innovation Hub:
The BIS Innovation Hub was established in 2019 by the BIS to:
- identify and develop in-depth insights into critical trends in financial technology of relevance to central banks;
- explore the development of public goods to enhance the functioning of the global financial system; and
- serve as a focal point for a network of central bank experts on innovation.
The BIS Innovation Hub is based in Basel and operates regional centres in collaboration with host central banks in Hong Kong SAR (Hong Kong Monetary Authority), Singapore (Monetary Authority of Singapore) and Switzerland (Swiss National Bank).
Building upon this foundation, the BIS Innovation Hub is expanding to open new centres in Toronto (Bank of Canada), London (Bank of England), the Eurosystem with two physical locations in Frankfurt and Paris, and Stockholm (Sveriges Riksbank, Danmarks Nationalbank, the Central Bank of Iceland, and the Central Bank of Norway). It is expected that most centres, if not all, will open in 2021
In this context, the BIS seeks to appoint four Centre Heads, one for each of its four new Innovation Hub locations. The Centre Heads will be based in Frankfurt/Paris, London, Stockholm, and Toronto. The Centre Heads will report to the Head of the BIS Innovation Hub in Basel.
- Office location : Frankfurt/Paris, London, Stockholm, Toronto
- Employment - Duration: 3 years
- Contract type: Fixed-term
- Application Deadline: 31/03/2021
Purpose of the job:
- Together with other Centres of the multi-locational BIS Innovation Hub (the “Hub”), contribute to the overall strategy of the Hub in support of its mission to foster international collaboration on innovative financial technology within the central banking community in order to improve the functioning and efficiency of the international financial system.
- Lead efforts to scout new technologies and products with the aim of increasing knowledge in areas of broad and critical interest to central banks and with a view towards the production of potential global public goods in the technology space.
- Design and execute a range of projects on digital innovation as part of the global agenda of the Hub, leveraging the regional strengths and specialist skill sets of the Hub Centres.
- Develop networks in the region bringing together central banks, academic communities and the private sector with a focus on digital innovation and its application to the financial system.
- Provide direct oversight of the operations of the Hub Centre, ensure its effective functioning and rapid delivery of project goals.
- Identify possible projects for development with the aim of increasing knowledge in areas of broad and critical interest to central banks, and with a view towards the production of potential global public goods in the technology space. Coordinate research on potential topics.
- Design and oversee the execution of project-related activities that explore the impact of technological developments on financial markets and central banks in line with the established priorities of the Hub.
- Closely monitor performance of projects in relation to objectives, regularly reassess progress and adapt as needed to ensure concrete outcomes, fast-paced delivery and an efficient allocation of resources.
- Lead effectively the operations of the Centre in close collaboration with host central banks.
- Build a regional network of stakeholders from the public and private sectors involved in fintech and innovation to promote exchanges of views and knowledge-sharing.
- Contribute to the development and operation of the BIS Innovation Network.
- Support effective coordination of the Centre’s activities with those managed from other Centres in order to exploit synergies across the BIS Innovation Hub.
- Support the Centre’s continued development of expert knowledge on innovative technologies related to the work of the Hub and actively encourage the sharing of insights.
Relationships and representation
- Actively engage with counterparts in the private sector and fintech community, as well as central banks/ international organisations to develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships.
- Establish and develop contacts with the BIS committees, standard setting bodies, and international organisations.
- Represent the BIS, or ensure that it is adequately represented, at relevant fintech events in the region.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff promoting functional excellence and continuous improvement.