The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the largest university in Cyprus and the largest in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English, with more than 12,000 students from over 70 countries, a diverse community of faculty and staff, and an expanding worldwide network. UNIC is driving educational innovation in the wider region, with activities like our dynamic global initiative in blockchain technology and centres of excellence in medicine and online/distance learning. 2020 QS World University Rankings has recognised UNIC for two years running in the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Region, with the University ranking at number 106 and 91 among 1,800 tertiary institutions across 24 countries.
The Institute For the Future (IFF) is a cross-disciplinary research institute at UNIC, pursuing world-class research and education at the intersection of exponential technologies, including blockchain, artificial intelligence and augmented/virtual reality. IFF hosts more than 40 faculty, researchers and support staff from UNIC and partner institutions and, among other activities, runs the world’s first full academic program in blockchain education since 2014 (MSc in Digital Currency), hosts a large number of research projects funded by the European Commission and industry, and organizes Europe’s premier annual business blockchain and crypto-currency conference (Decentralized). The IFF is an equal opportunity employer and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and business need.
The European Blockchain Observatory and Forum (EUBOF) is an initiative of the European Commission to accelerate blockchain innovation and the development of the blockchain ecosystem within the EU, and so help cement Europe’s position as a global leader in this transformative new technology.
The Institute for the Future at the University of Nicosia (IFF/UNIC), along with partners, has been awarded a contract to operate part of EUBOF until October 2022. In the framework of this assignment, IFF/UNIC is seeking a Project Coordinator to oversee the day-to-day execution of the project and delivery of our obligations within it. The Project Coordinator will lead IFF/UNIC’s EUBOF team and will work under the guidance of the Executive Director of IFF/UNIC in the following activities:
- Mapping, monitoring and analyzing blockchain trends, initiatives and relevant players in the EU and worldwide.
- Clarifying existing and emerging issues, as well as proposing guidance on how to address challenges and identify the most pertinent blockchain-related challenges, prepare sectoral case studies, and draft thematic papers and reports on each of them, with the collaboration of external experts from the EU and around the globe.
- Growing and nurturing the European blockchain community, as well as creating a platform for collaboration to reinforce the ecosystem.
- Strengthening synergies with existing and upcoming European and international blockchain initiatives.
- Leading the effort in making Europe a Blockchain and DLTs training hub by conducting a blockchain skills survey across Europe to bridge the gap between supply and demand for education in this area, map the available training offerings, identifying gaps, liaising with other education initiatives, and developing new training paths and education material.
- Reporting to the Executive Director of IFF/UNIC and managing the IFF/UNIC EUBOF research team, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for leading and executing the above activities, coordinating with the EUBOF consortium and the European Commission, as well as external stakeholders in Europe and beyond.
There is a possibility for remote work, although preference will be given to qualified candidates who live in or are willing to relocate to Nicosia.
Competitive salary and relocation allowance are offered, depending on qualifications. The position offers a pathway to permanent employment at the University.
The position is open immediately and candidates will be evaluated on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Ensure delivery of project targets to a high quality and within the contracted timeframe and budget.
- Track progress against project objectives, ensuring full completion as per the project’s work plan.
- Ensure quality reporting of project achievements.
- Manage, coach and work closely with the UNIC/IFF EUBOF team to ensure adequate support is provided to support project delivery.
- Liaise with other organizations and individuals (e.g. experts) working in the project.
- Lead or support the development of project deliverables, reports and events.
- Carry out other tasks and activities as required based on the EUBOF work plan.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Ability to manage internal and external teams and work with clients at a senior level (e.g. policy officials from the European Commission, global blockchain & digital asset experts from industry and academia, etc.).
- Professionalism, integrity and trustworthiness combined with a cooperative attitude.
Skills & Qualifications
- In-depth knowledge of the European and global blockchain and digital assets ecosystem is required. We are looking for a candidate that can demonstrate familiarity with the main dimensions of work in this field (such as technology development, business applications, regulation and policy making) and has a clear, knowledge-driven thesis and vision about its future.
- Experience in consulting, technology research or policy projects is also required. We are looking for a candidate that is familiar with working with multi-national teams and international clients, can work on multidimensional, deadline-driven assignments and is able to represent UNIC at high-level presentations and discussions. Preference will be given to candidates with proven success in leading consulting project teams and/or strategy consulting experience in a consulting/advisory firm or the in-house strategy function of an organization.
- Experience working on EU research or consultancy projects will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language.
How to Apply
Informal and confidential inquiries about this position can be made to Professor George Giaglis.
For a formal application, please submit your CV accompanied by a cover letter through our online recruitment system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
All applications will be treated in confidence.