Paxful is a leading peer-to-peer powered bitcoin marketplace and a universal money translator. Our mission is social justice through financial freedom worldwide. By offering a platform with over 300 financial networks that empowers both merchants and buyers alike, we have created opportunities for millions across the globe who don’t have access to traditional banking services.
Paxful was founded in 2015 and has an established headquarters in New York, with offices in Estonia, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Johannesburg. Currently, we have over 170 dedicated employees globally and are growing rapidly. We have millions of users, a strong business model, and are completely bootstrapped. One of our pillars is giving back to the communities we help through initiatives such as #BuiltWithBitcoin. You’ll be joining an international team that seeks to make real, sustainable change in the world.
Paxful teams tend to have:
- An open mind: We believe that change and new ideas are exciting, not threatening.
- A proactive attitude: We’re willing and ready to roll up our sleeves and take responsibility.
- Accountability: As colleagues, we take care of each other and our work.
- Self-direction: We figure out solutions on our own and take charge of carrying them out.
- An adaptive mindset: We shift our processes, perspectives, and working styles along with the environment.
- Passion: We feel driven by being part of the mission.
Sound like a fit?
We are looking for a Controller who will be managing a team to handle the bookkeeping needs of the company in our 5 global offices. Working with the Finance team at the New York City office, you’ll be using your accounting skills to ensure managing the cash and risk management of the firm, including bank accounts and filing the appropriate tax documents. Responsibilities include the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually), maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards. Ultimately you will be responsible for the reporting, accounting, cash and risk management for the company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintain and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced functions (e.g. audit, tax)
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly, and that payroll is processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed and required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts, an orderly accounting filing system and a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the quarterly and annual management summary reports
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics, and variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports and financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent business experience
- 4+ years of progressively responsible experience in a senior accounting role for a high-growth company or oversight of a complete corporate Controller department
- CPA designation required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Impeccable analytical and organization skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability and comfort working closely with a CFO and management team
- Experience with NetSuite and/or Sage Intacct
- Experience or interest in cryptocurrency, blockchain and/or financial technology
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Experience with transfer pricing
- Experience with new legal entity setup
- Healthcare insurance, including dental and vision
- Catered lunch and dinner daily, with premium snacks
- Gym membership of your choice and personal training sessions
- Sports nutrition and supplements, massages and chiropractor sessions
- Training and professional development resources
- Paid company events and retreats
- Generous paid time off
- Paid maternity/paternity leave including a one-time bonus to support newborn
- Commuter benefits
- Accessible office in the West Village
- Flexible hours