Wintermute is a leading market maker of digital assets globally. Being just 3 years old and about 20 people, we have already proven to be a top player globally, partnered with major global exchanges and got backing from world’s top VCs such as Lightspeed and Blockchain.com Ventures. Culturally, we combine 1) the best-in-class trading and technology professionalism coming from 70+ years of combined team's expertise in traditional hft companies like Optiver and 2) technology startup culture, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners. Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vetted exchanges in CeFi and DeFi. At Wintermute, we believe in decentralization of finance and have unconditionally supported DeFi from the onset. With the recent exciting developments in DeFi, we are looking for a DeFi software engineer to expand and accelerate our DeFi efforts. Learn more about our team and culture on our website or Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for a DeFi Software Engineer who has a deep understanding of blockchain and is curious about algorithmic trading. At Wintermute, you will have the opportunity to develop your own product (trading algorithms, trading strategies, trading applications, and related infrastructure), while also getting advice and guidance from very experienced developers and traders, including the founders and DeFi experts. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you’ll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals. It is up to you to make an impact! You will work alongside exceptionally sharp developers and traders, learn how to write fail-safe code and squeeze every millisecond of program performance, a real challenge and a rare opportunity!
What will you work on
A great advantage of this position is that it is varied and it is also up to you to shape it in the direction that matches your talents and company needs. Projects may include: connecting to a new DeFi protocol or new blockchain, designing and building a new smart contract, setting up and maintaining node infrastructure, completely owning development and trading for a specific protocol or DEX exchange. You will be tracking all major developments in DeFi, analysing trading data or transaction data, generating insights, prioritising them and building a solution from scratch. We will share more technical details in the interviews. The point is: there is no limit set by the company!
Hard skill requirements
- Deep understanding of blockchain, smart contracts, Ethereum and decentralized protocols - we will test!
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills - we will test
- Programming fundamentals (in C++, C#, Java, OOP)
- Blockchain fundamentals (consensus, nodes, miners, forks, transactions, web3)
- 2-3 years working on smart contracts, DeFi projects and protocols is an advantage, but if you are a self-taught genius or a DeFi enthusiast working on own projects, that works too
- Trading knowledge isn’t required but willingness and curiosity to learn algorithmic, high-frequency, quantitative, market making trading is crucial
Write to us if you are
- Love coding, love problem solving, and love seeing your products work
- Love building things
- Curious about algorithmic trading and financial markets
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Like working like an owner and not like a 9-to-5 “work to pay bills” or contractor
- Like working in the team environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our London office
Tips for a successful application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and DeFi space; this is not for someone who is just looking for “a job”
- Do some research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you’d like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in DeFi in general and in Wintermute in particular. Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions!I
- If you don’t have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant (but note, we do require deep blockchain development expertise)
- Prepare to be tested on your blockchain knowledge. We do not care as much about your credentials (university or prior employer), but we care a lot about your knowledge and ability to get things done
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won’t be able to proceed if you simply press “submit button”; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort in making the application relevant!
- For exception candidates without UK work permit, we will arrange a UK visa sponshorship!