The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the largest university in Cyprus and the largest in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English, with more than 12,000 students from over 70 countries, a diverse community of faculty and staff, and an expanding worldwide network. UNIC is driving educational innovation in the wider region, with activities like our dynamic global initiative in blockchain technology and centres of excellence in medicine and online/distance learning. 2020 QS World University Rankings has recognised UNIC for two years running in the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Region, with the University ranking at number 106 and 91 among 1,800 tertiary institutions across 24 countries.
The Institute For the Future (IFF) is a cross-disciplinary research institute at UNIC, pursuing world-class research and education at the intersection of exponential technologies, including blockchain, artificial intelligence and augmented/virtual reality. IFF hosts more than 40 faculty, researchers and support staff from UNIC and partner institutions and, among other activities, runs the world’s first full academic program in blockchain education since 2014 (MSc in Digital Currency), hosts a large number of research projects funded by the European Commission and industry, and organizes Europe’s premier annual business blockchain and crypto-currency conference (Decentralized). The IFF is an equal opportunity employer and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and business need.
We are looking for an ambitious systems administrator with good programming skills to join our team and take over the day-to-day operation of our current and future consensus nodes.
- Setting up and maintaining IFF’s Linux servers and Docker deployments, designing web services/apps to visualize data from the validators, supporting IFF’s researchers on assignments related to the validators (consensus algorithms, Byzantine fault tolerance protocols, hackathons or competitions utilising blockchain data) and other assignments related to IFF’s blockchain consensus nodes;
- Participating to various scientific and research activities of the IFF research group.
Skills & Qualifications
- Obtained a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- Has excellent programming skills (preferable Java, C++, or Python).
- Has worked with Linux systems and has knowledge with bash scripting.
- Has worked with Docker containers and Kubernetes (will be considered an advantage)
- Has basic knowledge and/or enthusiasm for cryptocurrencies, digital tokens and assets, blockchain and decentralized applications (training will be provided).
- Has excellent communication skills in English.
There is a possibility for remote work, although preference will be given to qualified candidates who live in or are willing to relocate to Nicosia.
Competitive salary is offered depending on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Information and application questions regarding these positions can be directed to Dr. Klitos Christodoulou.
Applicants should submit the following items (in electronic form) through UNIC’s online recruitment system:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- A full Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- A short description (maximum 1 page A4) of your MSc Project;
- Contact details of at least two references who worked closely with you;
- If applicable – a list of publications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Applications should be submitted before 15 September 2020.