Interested in helping us change the world of payments forever? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is looking for a talented, experienced, and hands-on software engineer to join our team. In this role, you’ll be designing, building, and implementing the tools and services that empower Stellar’s ecosystem. By working within the data analytics and liquidity team (Voyager), you’ll be working on open source projects that empower developers and non-developers to use the Stellar network for a wide variety of goals and use cases.
What You’ll Do:
- Be involved with all aspects of the development process for platform projects - from vision to final implementation.
- Be the main point of contact for all data related projects within the company
- Design and maintain systems that give us a unique perspective into the liquidity and various other metrics of the Stellar network
- Design new platform functionality with the corresponding APIs for external developers
- Build and maintain web services to support the foundation’s mission (increasing network participation, enabling lumen distribution, and highlighting the stability of the network)
- Identify patterns in developer needs and design new protocols and services to increase developer velocity across our entire ecosystem
- Engage with our community of open source developers on projects that encompass many different frameworks, languages, and ideas
- Collaborate with the team on code review and design, and contribute to best practices for all of engineering at SDF
- Investigate and refactor performance bottlenecks in order to continue scaling our API services
- Author detailed technical feature and protocol (RFC) specifications - we take design seriously, and we encourage everyone to be a part of our RFC processes
Who you are:
- You have 4+ years of experience developing software on a team
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- You have strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, design patterns, distributed systems, databases, and information retrieval
- You’re a language polyglot and have written server applications in languages such as Go, Python, Rust, C#, Java, Scala, or C++
- You have experience in supporting production web services at scale
- You’re a great communicator that can advocate and lead technical discussions, especially during the design and code review process
- You have a solid understanding of software design patterns, and how to build components that are reusable, extensible, and modular
- You are knowledgeable of existing frameworks and open source tools and are willing to build new frameworks when open ones do not exist
- You have a passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- You’re enthusiastic about working on a small, growing team where you’ll be given a lot of autonomy
- You’re open, empathetic, and care about putting the best ideas forward in a collaborative and helpful manner
- You practice data driven decision making
Bonus Points If:
- You have experience with Golang and/or Python
- You have worked with Google BigQuery or similar data warehousing systems
- You have worked with or built ETL systems and data pipelines
- You have a strong curiosity in blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies, and understand the fundamentals of these systems
Projects You May Work On:
- Data Pipelines at Stellar (blog post)
- Re-architecting our data warehouse to use a Snowflake Schema
- Protocols and reference implementations that help organizations building on Stellar work together
- Trading bots like Kelp or similar projects
- Dozens of other tools and systems that make developing diverse financial apps on Stellar as ergonomic as possible
Stellar is a decentralized, fast, scalable, and uniquely sustainable network for financial products and services. It is both a cross-currency transaction system and a platform for digital asset issuance, designed to connect the world’s financial infrastructure. Dozens of financial institutions worldwide issue assets and settle payments on the Stellar network, which has grown to over 4 million accounts.
About the Stellar Development Foundation
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization that supports the development and growth of Stellar, an open-source network that connects the world’s financial infrastructure. Founded in 2014, the Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities building on the network, and serves as a voice to regulators and institutions. The Foundation seeks to create equitable access to the global financial system, using the Stellar network to unlock the world’s economic potential through blockchain technology.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SDF is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SDF does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.