Augur is an open-source, decentralized prediction market platform where users can trade on the outcome of future events. The outcome of those events is determined by Augur’s decentralized oracle, where the community uses the crypto token Reputation (REP) to report and dispute event outcomes.
By combining the magic of prediction markets with the power of a decentralized network, we’re able to create a stunningly accurate forecasting tool that can be used by anyone in the world. Read more about Augur’s mission here.
Augur is built from the ground up to be owned and operated by the people that use it. This is a technical reality enabled by the Ethereum blockchain and open source software. The Forecast Foundation, a small team of 15 who are the primary developers, designers, and maintainers of the Augur protocol, is a globally distributed not-for-profit entity.
This is a remote, full-time position for a mid-level Product Designer with a heavy emphasis on visual design.
As the second designer on our small team, you’ll be essential to growing and shaping a product that’s currently in its first phase of life. With the original design now out in the wild (as of MVP launch in July 2018), we’re getting the feedback we need to begin iterating and refining the design based on actual use. This means that there’s a lot of redesign work to be done, along with the design of feature additions.
You’ll be working side by side with the lead designer and product manager to turn feature requirements into beautiful, usable interfaces. Sometimes this will mean taking a wireframe or prototype and applying visual design, and sometimes it will mean understanding the requirements and brainstorming solutions yourself prior to the visual design phase. You’ll also be interfacing with the engineering team to provide day-to-day support on visual design questions as they begin implementing features.
There are plenty of challenges on which to hone your design skills, including adapting to the unique constraints presented by a decentralized system. You will need patience for this role, as well as enthusiasm for complexity, because there is a definite learning curve. But we’re right there with you: we’ll help you develop an understanding of decentralized systems and the Augur platform, as well as growing your design skills under the lead designer’s mentorship.
- Optimize and iterate on new product solutions based on feedback from the product manager and lead designer. You should know when to apply either quick sketches, wireframes, or high fidelity prototypes and user flows to communicate your ideas.
- Work closely with engineering and product to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges.
- Able to think long and short-term to meet the constraints of a continuous release process while iterating towards our future vision.
- Contribute to and maintain the design system that we’re currently building.
- Strong, clean visual design sense.
- Good typography and layout skills to handle complex and high volume data (like a trading interface) across web and mobile.
- Comfortable working on a remote team and able to self-manage your time.
- Excited by decentralized apps and at least some experience with cryptocurrency.
- An understanding of or desire to understand trading.
- 2-5 years of experience.
- Based in the Eastern or Mountain time zones.
- Experience working closely with engineers in a tech-led environment.
- Understanding of what makes a great user experience.
- Sketch/Figma, Framer, or another high fidelity prototyping tool. We’re always updating our design workflow and happy to add new tools to the process.
What We Offer:
- Competitive USD + token-based compensation
- Medical/Dental Insurance
- Flat hierarchy and open communication
- Unlimited PTO
- Expenses like conferences, coworking space, books, etc.
- Work and non-work focused trips to various parts of the world
- Flexible working hours. As long as you have a good amount of overlap with the team members you need to communicate with, you can manage your working hours as you like.
How to Apply
Interested in joining the team? We’d love to hear from you!
We need a couple things to get the process started: a few words on why you’re interested in the role, a resume or LinkedIn page, and/or a link to any portfolio or relevant work.
Please send an e-mail to [email protected]. If we think you might be a good fit for the role we’ll get in touch with you to schedule an interview.